Youth Beacon is dedicated to inspiring the inner scientist in today’s youth. By exposing students to STEAM we prepare them for the age of innovation. The world is like a colossal village, and it is our goal to bring every child in this village together, regardless of their background or access to resources.
*** All programs are 4 weeks long unless stated otherwise
Grades: 3 – 8
- Your child will embark on a journey through live sessions with us that will teach them logic building, the fundamentals of Scratch programming, and various concepts targeted towards their grade level.
- Concepts can be anything from animation and creating games to mathematical concepts like fractions and percentages.
- Student will conclude the classes by applying their knowledge in a 50 minute Scratchathon, where they will compete against their classmates to program the best game!
2. App Inventors
For Students Completing Grades 4+
- Designed for students completing grades 4 and above, or who have had previous programming experience (either outside of Yobea or completion of Intermediate classes).
- Students will learn how to use MIT App Inventor to code their own mobile apps!
- Apps will include fun games as well as apps to simplify and elevate everyday life.
- Conclude classes with the knowledge and ability to create mobile applications of their own
- Students will participate in a 2 day hackathon, competing against each other to create the coolest and useful apps!
For Students Completing Grades 5+
- Masterminds is a class designed to put students’ coding mindsets and knowledge to the test while giving them a physical application for their knowledge (though encouraged, no previous classes/programming knowledge are required).
- This class will cover programming real circuit boards (the BBC Microbit), breadboarding, the basics of circuits, and CAD (3D printing and designing).
- Session will conclude with a competition to see which student can best design a 3D print and integrate their circuit board to form a useful/cool product.
Invitation ONLY program for students with past experience with Yobea
- The ambassador’s program is designed for students looking to be a part of Team Yobea.
- Through individualized mentoring from our program heads, students will learn the skills required to eventually start a Yobea chapter at their school!
- Students will work on curriculum development and/or in-class interaction and teaching based on preference and ability to commit time.
What Parents and Students Are Saying About Us:
“My son received Insight about scratch coding, he believes he has learned more than what they are been taught in the school coding sessions and is ahead of his classmates“― Shreeja M. (India)
“Yobea helped me code and now I am so good at it in only in 8 sessions.They showed me blocks I never knew were there like the broadcasting block. The teachers are really nice and they explain really well to make sure we get it.“― Elesh S. (USA)
“My child was not keen to participate in any Scratch-related project until we decided to try Yobea. My child enjoyed the projects assignments, all of them, and found a great way to put creativity to use. The instructors are very patient and encouraging, and make sure that they acknowledge every student’s efforts. I appreciate Yobea’s commitment to provide learners a safe environment to work in, and to keep parents/guardians always updated with what’s happening in class. I look forward to the Intermediate session that will take place later this year.“― Shalaka B. (USA)
We are Yobea, a nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring STEAM in youth.
Our goal is to spread STEAM to every child, regardless of their current access to resources.